Sunday, October 31, 2010

Rally For Sanity - What a marathon of a day!  Up at 4AM home by 10PM - Thanks to Ariana Huffington for providing free bus service from Shea Stadium to DC.  Like most attendees, I think, I wasn't really sure what to expect.  Was this a pro liberal anti Tea Party rally?  No, it was really a call for extremism from the left and the right to stop attacking one another and for government to work together just like people have to work together everyday to get their jobs done.....It was also a rally against the media's relentless propogation of fear and panic.  If you are interested in more info about the rally and what it stood for, check out http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.  Here, I want to show a personal side of the day.

I had no idea what to expect when Mike and I arrived at Citifield.  Where would "the huffington bus" be parked?  Why were there so many people and how would we find "the huffington people".  I didn't want to miss the bus.   Ha!  Turns out all 10,000 people were the "Huff crowd" and there wasn't "a bus" but 250 busses!  Look out DC here come the New Yorkers! 

....."It's not as bad as the smell of war", the gentleman sitting across from me on the bus pointed out, reminding me to keep the stench in the bus bathroom in perspective.  "Yeah" I agreed.  I was seated next to Glen, a philosopher-psychobehaviorist who works with people with OCD.  Cool I thought, it's my lucky day, maybe I can get some tips, and I did!  After a brief discussion of existentialism and budhism, I asked him what he thought of the new CNN show Parker Spitzer.  He responded, "I haven't had TV for 20 years.  Wow, I thought...I like this guy.  Let's face it, the Jersey shore and all the alternative mind numbing choices have at least inspired me to consider giving up TV in the past.  Maybe now it's time.

We arrived to DC after 1:00PM and the bus dumped us off somewhere a distance from the rally.  "Follow the Herd" said Mike....wait "the herd is too slow".  Pretty soon we found ourselves in front of the herd not knowing where to run.  "Follow your instincts" (Mike's idea).  Follow my map (my idea).   A couple of tips from Metro Personel, cops, and a nice lady and we found our way!  Did you know there are four 3rd streets in the city? 

Truth be told, I didn't see or hear a bit of the stewart/Colbert performance.  The day was mostly spent riding on a bus and running our asses off 4 miles to get to the rally and then back to the bus....lol.  Still we enjoyed the signs and feel we added to the numbers.  To qoute a song from the broadway play Avenue Q, "There is life outside your apartment".

Will we really cancel TV?  Maybe.  Thinking about it....

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved to attend this rally. It's incredible how polarized people have become over politics. I'm amazed at what some people will say to me at work. Many of them seem to have no individual thinking anymore. I often feel like I'm hearing Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh regurgitated to me. Thankfully I've never subjected myself to any of these idiots on television.

    ReplyDelete