It was Friday morning after Thanksgiving, and I wondered what I would blog about this week. All week, I had been consumed by list making, preparing, and shopping for the holiday. It was a wonderful day spent with family, but I already blogged about Thanksgiving. I suddenly had an idea, "I am going to blog about blogging", I affirmed to my husband. He lovingly teased, "running out of material already?" "No." There is a story here.
For a long time, I would google my name just to see what would come up. I never got anything. It seemed like only famous people, published people, accomplished people were searcheable. I guess I was not accomplished enough to show up on a google search. Then I discovered, start a blog on google, assign to it your name and voila! Search your name and there's your blog, number one, two, three....all your entries. I thought this was cool for awhile, until my caring family pointed out how utterly public I was divulging my information. I better be careful what I write, keep my blogs relevant for other readers and not so personal.
My idea for a blog came about when I arrived home from "The Rally for Sanity". I tried to post a 2100 word or so essay on my facebook Wall and it didn't work. "I went to DC on a bus today" was about all my Wall could handle. Now I don't mean to insult any facebook addicts, but simply what I do, when I do it isn't even interesting to me. Why would it be interesting to others? What is interesting is the story behind the event, your perception of what is going on around you, the lense through which you look when recapturing your experiences. Now, I have an innate need to share with others, I like to write, and so my blog was born. I hope that I may inspire, nic a nerve, serve a smile, make someone feel something with my words.
I like blogging. I am my own boss and my own editor. Blogging helps to clear my mind of my week's thoughts. I often come up with ideas for my blog while walking my dogs. Dog walking is kinda like driving on autopilot. You know, when you are mentally consumed by something and arrive at your destination and wonder "how did I ever get here?" I conjure up most of my blogs in my head while roaming the streets of my neighborhood with two dogs on leash...I always make it back home.
In a perplexing, fascinating, complicated world, we each find our way in our daily routines. We can all too easily get wrapped up in the habitual events of our lives, calling them dull and ordinary. "How was your week?" a friend may ask. "You know the same, nothing's new", you may answer. I hope I will always have something to blog about on a weekly basis. I believe there is always a story to be revealed if we look for it and that our lives can be enriched by acknowledging the various angles and dimensions of our experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment