Unsure if I was ready to have kids, I decided to bring a puppy into my life. Max was two months old when we drove up to Southington CT to pick hip up. We had a travel crate in the car, some puppy food and a crate set up at home and we figured we'd pick up what else we needed in time. I wasn't new to dogs, I have a 10 year old Springer Spaniel named Alex at home. I remembered what to expect: lots of peeing, pooping, chewing, and running around. Undoubtedly some things, even important things would get destroyed, but after time passed, we would have a cute fun playmate to take on hikes and love.
I have always thought of max as my son which is why I have felt such joy and pain alongside of him as he has grown this first year. I imagine parents of "real" children find the comparison between kids and dogs, well, lets be honest, lame. Afterall the similarities are equivocal at best. Max was potty trained in 7 months not 4 years. I had to wake up once per night for the first 2-3 months to take hime out, but after this short time he would make it through the night without an accident. He never wet his bed I am amazed to say. Although it was tiresome waking up for a potty break, I loved stretching my arms down and picking hip up out of his crate. I held him and kissed him as we walked downstairs and out to the backyard. I felt I was being a good mother.
Max learned to play the game of drop and roll the ball under the furniture, then stare at me as if to say "go get my ball". Of course I would lie on the floor and pull his toy out from the under the couch only to give it up to him so he could do it again. Funny, because my older dog does the same thing. I liken this to a baby who giggles every time she can get an adult to pick up her toy that she has chucked from her high chair.
Lets face it, there are some irrefutable differences here. My largest vet bill will never be more than a tiny fraction of summer camp and college tuition. I like to remind myself of this when I get that $800 vet bill, which always comes as a shock. It's also easier to pawn your dogs off on your friends and neighbors for a mini vacation. I am lucky to have two neighbors who are fond of my dogs. They willingly offer to watch, walk, and feed them while we are away. They say they enjoy the exercise and giving them love and attention. I don't think "Hey, can you watch my children while my husband and I go to SOBE" really works for most people.
Max has made many achievements over the past year which I am proud of and like to brag about to my friends. His most remarkeable triumph has been conquering his fear of water. He may even enjoy swimming! I don't know because I can't ask him. All spring and summer Mike and I had been trying to foster courage in Max by teacing him to swim. We would coax him into the water with treats and positive words. When that didn't work we would lift him up and place him in the water a distance from the shore thinking if he had no choice but to swim, he would figure it out. On our Adirondack vacation we even got into the water with our other dog Alex and dragged Max in with us. He didn't dig it at all, he paddled his paws as fast as he could back onto the rocks. After the summer air cooled and fall set in, I took a brisk stroll through a nature preserve in our town with Alex and Max. An amazing thing happened. It was Oct 25th and for the first time Max bolted to the beach and jumped right into the water after Alex without fear or hesitation. He circled a few times around splashing and leaping through the gentle tides with his brother. I couldn't believe it. I was a proud parent.
Max now knows to chase a ball and run with it in his mouth. For months he seemed to want to put everything in his mouth but a ball! I didn't understand it. He'd watch Alex play catch and chase for hours but wouldn't follow. He looked confused and uniterested. Now he likes to dive for the ball before his brother can get it. It's fun sometimes to compare Alex and Max just like one can't help but compare human siblings. My favorite comparison is what the two of them do when something is thrown in the air. Alex will jump up and grab whatever it is...a cookie, a snow ball, a stick, whatever. Do the same to Max, and his eyes flutter rapidly as he ducks his head to the side out of the way. Alex is also a more active dog even at age 10 years! Alex will always choose outdoor play time over eating his food. To put these "likes" in order. For Alex it is "run, rest, eat" and for Max it is "eat, rest, run."
So from puppy mayhem to a learned and loving dog, I have made it through this journey with Max. I have wanted to cry and put him away, and I have reminisced over the calmer days before I got him. As I look upon him now curled up and napping, I have a feeling of joy. He has learned to pee and poop outside and to drop "bad things" that he picks up along our walks. He has learned to come inside when called and to go into his crate when he is told. He has learned to rough it on our camping trips and mountain hikes, but most excitngly he has learned how to swim!
I think Alex deserves his own column as well! How far you have come from being absolutely terrified of dogs, to owning 2 of them!
ReplyDeleteKatie